Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nawww.

I really tried. I started charging my phone regularly*. I bought it some new batteries. I started using it to check my emails 3 or 4 times a day.


And now, it's gone and fucked itself.

Naturally, I'm a bit bummed. I like my phone. It came from Hong Kong a couple of years ago and cost me about $150, which was fantastic at the time for an unlocked phone with a full qwerty keyboard, running Windows Mobile. We've still got crappy Nokias in at Woolies for more than that. And sure, I might not have used it all that much, but it's web browsing was fantastic and it let me check hotmail from the same screen as my text messages. It could play Top Gear, and I could read novels on it, or use it as an MP3 player. With the exception of the fact that it sometimes refused to sent SMSes (easily fixed with the well documented turning-it-off-and-on-again function) it's been utterly, utterly fantastic. Except that time the front fell off at the Longerenong BnS ball, but I superglued it back on.

Thankfully, it's not fucked-fucked. It's still on, and looks fine, but it's taking at least a minute to load into SMSes, and twice that for emails. I tried to add a contact today and gave up at the end of my 15 minute tea break, having spent at least half of it trying. I suspect, since I use it so rarely, that it will suffice for the next month or so, and I have my spare phone if I get desperate.

Tonight, in the best traditions of sticking with what I know, I've found my phone again on eBay and bought it. Not the exact same one, this is the 3G version.


Clearly, it's a bit longer, but when you consider the sheer amount of stuff in my handbag, an extra centimetre or so of phone wont make much difference. What's more it cost pretty much exactly the same as the last one.

Unfortunately, that's money I could have spent on a bundle of Central Park. Or put towards some new boots. Or paid my car rego in February, or gotten my licence renewed.

It's my birthday on Saturday people. Though I'll settle for Jeremy Clarkson's new DVD (The Italian Job I think it's called) or a bookshelf/cubeshelf thingie. 1.2m wide, 1.8m tall please. Don't mind the colour, and 40cm deep is plenty.


*by "regularly", I mean sometimes. And by sometimes, I mean occasionally. When I remembered, and I could find a cable that fit. And could be bothered.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a fabulous birthday Sara. Make sure you do something rockin' that involves alcohol and letting your hair down.

    And in line with my previous camera comment the time is rapidly approaching when I am also going to need a new phone. Maybe I should get with the program and get myself one with the touch screen since my phone is at least 4 years old...

    ReplyDelete