Monday, March 12, 2012

It worked!

I had told myself that I was going to piece the backing for the blue and grey quilt tonight, but after going out to dinner with a friend I hadn't seen since high-school, I got home and wasn't really feeling it. I finally got around to sewing down the fold over binding for the sunset quilt now that I've bought some more hot pink cotton, and then I got into a flat bag.

I'd done a test version with just the lines drawn on the other night and nearly finished it before I realised I was doing it all wrong - trying to sew it like I'd sew a lined pouch with a zipper instead of constructing it like I used to make laptop bags with the top flaps. So tonight's version worked much better.


I still have to sew a clasp into it, and I'm considering maybe making the gusset go the whole way around as opposed to tapering off to a point just beyond the corners, because they're a bit messy. That photo is actually stuffed, well, It has my spare phone and car keys and a lip gloss and a pack of quick-eze in it, which is pretty much everything, except for money, that I need for a night out.


I think next time I'll do an edged handle too, because the black kinda vanishes. I considered using piping on all the edges, but I got lazy.

Still, as a proof of concept, coloured in with fabric markers, I'm pretty pleased. Next one I'd like to try one of the side zipping ones with two handles, but I think tomorrow I should try get that grey and blue quilt backed.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sara that's amazing. Good on you for giving that a go. It looks as good if not better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks freaking awesome Sara. I feel like Im staring straight at a cartoon.

    I'd be making these and selling them at markets ...bet they;d sell like hotcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your THE BOMB Sara!
    Amazing work but I knew you would pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are crazy. just like a cartoon; it doesn't look like a real bag at all. great job.

    ReplyDelete