Tonight I had a look through an old harddrive, and if I'm honest, what I found ranged from amusing to horrifying, and that was just in the photos.
![]() |
| Me, Casey, Glenn and Lisa, 16th Nov, 2005, Vansitart Park Playgrounds. Blowing off school with my sister, my bestie and his girlfriend. |
I haven't even looked through the documents yet, though fortunately back in high school I password protected quite a lot of files, and I can't remember any of the passwords 7 years on, so that at least ought to protect me from reading the musings of 17-year-old me.
Still, it's left me feeling a bit bummed and nostalgic and, frankly, irritatingly existential.
I'll be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing with my life - I live in an eternal now that I am, for the most part, pretty okay with.
![]() |
| Sunset from the back shed, 1st Feb, 2006. Possibly the only bad thing about working evenings is that I no longer get to take a million photos of every single sunset. |
Did I think I would have done more with my life by this point? Well, frankly, I'm not sure. I have a really shit memory of everything except song lyrics and credit card details, but then I'm often unconvinced that reality even exists, and go through life in a bemused state of wonderment that life seems to be pressing on without me really doing much to facilitate it except eating and pooing.
![]() |
| Ignore the date shown - Mum never set the date on her camera but I know it was 22nd Jan 2006, because it was my 18th birthday. |
Do I now, at 24, have a pressing urge to get out there and do something?
![]() |
| The Blue Lake, 14th Nov 2007. I was trying to be "artsy" with my framing. |
Well, not really. Even though, in the words of Five for Fighting, I've "only got a hundred years to live..."
Life is going to continue whether I know what to do with it or not.
In the meantime, I'm just going to get on with living it as it comes.
Missing this little guy.
![]() |
| Me, 28th August, 2006. Judging from outside the window, I think it must have been taken at Potters Point. Judging by the date, the car was Elsie (LC), the little corolla. |
Missing this little guy.
And wondering what happened to this little guy...
![]() |
| I made him as a present for my then-boyfriend, and we always joked that if we ever broke up we would sell him on ebay (similar ones have sold for over $500) and split the profits, but I haven't seen any money, and I really don't think he deserves to keep him. I just hope he didn't get incinerated. |











And if you're wonding what the title has to do with all this; http://xkcd.com/220/
ReplyDeleteI think it's natural to reflect on where you've been and where you;re going , especially when you've been waxing nostalgic over old photographs.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing where you came from and I think you;re pretty much perfect just the way you are now. that being said I can only imagine you getting better with age.
You're in the right place...