Thursday, August 23, 2012

Because it is already after 5am, and there are still tumblrs that need to be read...

Today there was sunshine. It was terribly strange, but then, I have barely talked for 11 days now, so my very existence has started to go a bit weird. I find myself regularly going and laying in odd places, staring at the light fittings or the bit where the door meets the roof, just because, as a person who is made up of words, and who has no words, life is weird. Also, did I mention it's 5.30am? Just as well I have no voice and got my shift replaced for tomorrow.

Back to the point, it was sunny today, and I went into work late (they'll let you be in charge with no voice, but not actually serve the customers) so I had time to go out and take some pretty pictures.


This quilt is so unlike all my other quilts that I almost love it the most, because it's so unashamed to let it's freak flag fly.


This is the holiday quilt, hand quilted by me, while I was high on the glue fumes from spray basting together, in a motel room in Adelaide, the layers of pre-pieced plaid, pink polar fleece (batting) and wool coating (backing). And I hand sewed on the binding too, which is actually woven polyester tape.


This is the Carried Away Miniquilt. Some point soon I want to re-do this in the solids I originally designed this to be in, and as a nine-patch.


The block itself is what I came up with for the GenQ block design competition, and since the magazine is out now, I think I can do my excited squeally they picked it!


This is the original colours. I only had enough to make this one block, which got turned into a cushion, which was promptly stolen by Casey, and then by Maddy. I also made a really hideous one, in a selection of other new DS fabrics, that I tentatively titled when bad things happen to good fabrics.


Naturally, one of the girls at worth thought it was kinda funky when I showed her the photo, so I've quilted it ready to eventually turn it into a cushion for her.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting picked for GenQ. Thats freaking fabulous. And I luuuuurve that quilt.

    I’m trying to imagine how you actually manage to be in charge of staff without being able to talk. Notes? Sign language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully your staff behaves/behaved themselves so you didn't have to frantically wave your arms and jump up and down and whatever else you might need to do to get them to do what you need them to do.

    I love, love your GenQ block design. Just need to find a copy of the magazine .. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete