Friday, December 9, 2011

It always ends in swearing.

Fashion is hard. I'm not talking about dressmaking here, for all that it has its difficulties, I'm talking about "fashion". Or, if you'd rather, fashion.

It's a thing. A thing that says that those shoes do not work with that handbag. That that belt is an inch too wide, that that heel is just a tad too chunky and that that waistline is a wee bit too high.

Take this skirt for instance. 1m of polytulle, 1m of hot pink cotton and a bit of zipper I had leftover from making my gym bag. 3 hours of work, cause I pinned all that runching instead of gathering it, and it's lovely. Really really nice. Pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be.


Except it's all wrong. See, I want to wear it with the top I altered last night, and a wide belt. But the top is quite long, and I'm not sure that I want to cut it down so I'd rather it be tucked in. This skirt sits on my hips perfectly, since I used the same waistband design I've used for pretty much every skirt I've made myself in the last 5 years, but oh no, it doesn't "look" right with it on my hips. Not with the belt. The belt needs to be higher. But the skirt is too big at my waist, because it wasn't made to fit there. Oh well, there's this belt, why don't we use to gather it in? The tulle is gathered anyway so you won't see it... But the band is too wide when it's up high. It's all wrong.

What I need is the same skirt but with no waistband. A bit of elastic would do the job fine. It doesn't matter that the top will be tucked in to it because you still won't see the top of it for the belt. I can make a gathered, elastic waisted skirt in about 15 minutes. If I had been able to try on my non-existent skirt before going to the effort of making it I could have saved myself 2 hours and 45 minutes.

This is why I didn't move to Adelaide and do fashion design. Squares are simple. Squares don't make me cross. Even rectangles are quite alright. If HSTs were on facebook I'd probably even be friends with them. But fashion?

Fashion can fuck off.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about fashion, for me it disapeared with my waistline never to be seen again. I never liked fashion anyway, its over rated and over priced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it's still cute .. sorry about the extra 2 hours and 45 minutes though.

    ReplyDelete