Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ow.

I am home. Safe and sound. And sore. Really, really sore.

Long car drives, sleeping (or lack thereof) in a swag, shooting a double barreled shotgun with full cartridges, jogging around a lake, climbing a mountain and getting attacked by a tree all add up. The laughing and the dancing and the alcohol were all contributing factors too.

So we went to the Tim Fisher Memorial Shoot in Patchewollock yesterday. Really really lovely day, but the big spring rains aren't due to hit till the day after next, so alas, there weren't many flowers to be woven into crowns. Instead I sat and chatted and ate honey crackles and chicken twisties, and after the actual shoot was finished, they asked Me, Case and a couple of the other girls if we'd like a go. Since I'm quite disappointed that I continue to not be an action hero, I was a bit stoked. I shot one clay which I was quite proud of, and apparently with smaller cartridges I'd be a lot better because there wont be so much kick. Casey got five (we had about a dozen goes) but she's got the bulk to handle the big cartridges. We both have slightly munted right arms today, and oddly, I find the back of my shoulder hurts more than the front. Casey wants to join the local gun club right away, but I've noticed that ebay doesn't sell guns, and that could hold me back a bit. I've never seen any at the Salvos either.

Seriously though, it was much fun, and any sport that involves a gentle stroll back and forth is one I could get to like. Also, you get to shoot things. And they all have these jackets with a quilted shoulder where the gun goes, and I really like the idea of quilting my own.

We went to the Patchy pub on the way home, got takeaway and some takeaway alcohol and went back to Jan and Dal's. One of the neighbours, his brother and his brother's girlfriend from England came over to visit, and Case and I had a ball weirding them out with our singing and dancing antics. Then it was sleepytimes, or at least, sleeptyimes for everyone but me, for whom it was lay around and listen to everyone snoring really really loudly times. At one point, the three of them synchronised so one of them was crescendoing at all times - I was quite impressed.

When I woke up this morning I asked the girls how the hell they had slept through Brad's snoring. Brad claimed he wasn't snoring, and before I'd had a chance to tell him that he most definitely was, he said "that's not snoring, that's a mating call"

Um, no thanks.

Saturday night one of the girls at the Rainbow pub mentioned that she'd been geocaching that afternoon. It's a thing where people hide things and post the coordinates on the internet so people with GPSs can go find them, and leave behind something of their own. I'd heard of it but figured there wouldn't really be much in the middle of nowhere places we go to, but Casey and Jess got really excited about the idea - they even got cross that I had, quote, "kept it a secret from them." Turns out there's millions of the things, everywhere, including one just 500m from my house. Usually it's little tupperware containers with little trinkets and a notebook in them so you can write in that you found it, what you took and what you left.

To make up for it I downloaded the $9.39 geocaching app for my phone and we went looking. We went to Lake Abacutya, which is mostly dried up - we drove across it and found, in the middle, a small hollow, maybe 30m in diametre, full of water, so I jogged around it. When I tell people tomorrow that I jogged around the lake they will assume I mean all 8km of the Blue Lake, and be very impressed. We got back in the car and kept driving, coming up the boat ramp on the other side. We went to the site of Peppers Point School and didn't find anything, gave up and went to Lake Hindmarsh (which is very, very full) and found one! I left behind one of Helen's crochered oreos, so it's out in the world now.

We went to the Arapiles, some big-arse rock mountains near Horsham. One of the problems with geocaching is that it just gives you a location, and while the app is nice enough to show it on a map, it doesn't tell you the route. We started at the campsite, walked/climbed 500 of the 700m before we ran out of track, came to a sheer cliff face, I got attacked by a tree, my phone reached 5% battery and we decided to go back down, only to find, upon leaving the national park, that there was a road to the summit on the other side. We drove to the top, climbed the last 50m to the hiding spot and found our cache. I left behind a little torch and took a US 1c coin.

We stopped at three more that were on the side of the road on the way home. The app tells you the nearest ones and location can be down to the metre in some cases. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to waste an afternoon with some friends.

We will be tomorrow. We're going to cheap as chips first to stock up on some party favours to leave behind.

And I'm gunna take the quilt. It's been washed, so I'll be looking for a nice photogenic spot to make it look especially pretty.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard of geo-cacheing but since I dont love nature all that much I doubt you'll ever catch me looking for things in the wild.

    Sounds like a full on weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, sounds like a very full weekend. I'd heard of geocaching, but never saw the interest. You make it sound more fun that anyone else I've heard talk about it ..

    And shooting .. I've only done that once or twice. My daughters both enjoy it .. my #3 son goes hunting every chance he gets. We even had the pleasure of having some rabbit and dove .. tastes like chicken ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle is very active in geo-caching. I haven't tried it out yet, but I like the idea of leaving a handmade something for the next person to find. I also really love your idea of quilting your own shotgun jacket or vest. The heavy kick to the shoulder is one of the reasons I don't practice with a shotgun. I can't believe I hadn't thought of making my own vest yet!!
    It sounds like you had a great time! Now, get some rest :-)

    ReplyDelete