Saturday, August 13, 2011

Look Ma, no curves!

The local Spotlight store is asking for customers to make 12 1/2 inch blocks on the theme of "Spring" from their fabrics to assemble into a charity quilt. Since I'm metric, I've made mine 33cm and told them they can trim them, and because I'm a massive rebel, I made a point of putting in a fabric that wasn't from Spotlight. Yeah, hardcore sticking it to the man, right?


Most of the fabrics are the leftover selvedge to selvedge strips from the two mini zigzag quilts, sewn together and then cut into triangles , half of which were put in one block, half on the other. Then you cut off the point with too many seams and put a triangle of a scrap of something you bought on fabric.com into the gap, so there isn't a massive bundle of seams in the corner when they go to piece it together, and you're showing them what an uncontrollable rebel you are at the same time.

I'm seriously considering doing a whole quilt like this. I'd probably put the same fabric as the edge strips into my corners though, so there was a neat circle in the middle. Well, technically not a circle, it'd probably be a dodecahedron or something, and I'd need to get my angle on my template a bit more precise than I did with these, where I didn't mind if I trimmed shitloads because it was scrap fabric anyway. But still, it's probably as close as I feel like getting to curved piecing, and it looks pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. They look great Sara - you uncontrollable rebel you...

    ReplyDelete