Saturday, July 9, 2011

Watches.

Before I get to the point, does anyone else use blogger-in-draft? What do you think of the new layout? I like it, because for the last month or so it'd been saving my posts as dozens of drafts and making me delete them one at a time, but the redesign lets me delete lots at once. Also, it's stopped saving lots of unnecessarily drafts, doing away with the need to delete masses of posts, but whatever. I like it, except I keep forgetting which button to press to do a new post.

Anyway, to the point of tonight's post. Watches. I believe I have discussed them before, but I've talked about so much crap on here that I can't remember. Anyway, the thing about a watch is that, apparently, it says something about who you are. Once upon a time it was shoes that did this, but I suppose since people have so many pairs now it makes it a bit hard to remain consistent. If we were what our shoes are, I suppose we'd be covered in dirt and/or schizophrenic.

The trouble is, I don't want my watch to say anything about me. When I said this to a friend, she pointed out that a watch that says nothing about you actually says a lot about me. She's right. It says "I'm being worn by the kind of person who works very hard to not be defined by a commercial object* - the kind of person who goes out of her way to make active statements, in her words and her actions, rather than passive statements, in what she wears or uses"

But actually, what I really want my watch to do is raise it's metaphorical eyebrows suggestively and say in a condescending tone of voice "sorry buddy, but you're gunna have to work harder than that to get to know her" - of course my watch is lying, I'm not hard to get to know at all. So really what I want is a watch that will call people's bluffs, so I don't have to.

After a good few hours trawling through ebay, getting despondent that all the watches I really liked were in the $500 - $2000 range (if any of you ever get given a Tag Hauer Ladies Aquaracer - I don't mind which one - and feel it doesn't suit your personal style, feel free to re-gift it my way. Or 150 of you could put in a tenner each, and get it for me for my birthday) I found a seller who had quite a few nice second hand ones in the $10-15 range. I've bought four, and I'm hoping at least one of them will feel right, because it's very hard to find nice watches on ebay. There's 133 thousand on ebay Australia alone. Worldwide, you're nudging 700k of listings to consider. And unless you're looking for a specific brand, it's tough. Typing in "A watch that doesn't say much about me" gets no responses whatsoever. "bracelet watch steel bezel" gets 9, none of which are what I want, but including the description gets 37000, which is too many.

I think, if you bought your watch on ebay, it says one of two things about you: "I am amazingly lucky and exactly what I wanted showed up at the top of the first page" or "I am both stubborn, picky, and have way too much time on my hands"

I am the latter. If you have a gift for being the former, please, please share it with the world.

*Okay, so I may or may not consider my two necklaces (one an RM Williams longhorn, the other my name) to be the objects that most define me, but they are different. I designed them, I'm the only one in the world that has them. If I am murdered, I expect they will be used to identify me.

No comments:

Post a Comment