Friday, July 15, 2011

Useless reviews.

Today, I had a nice cry. I haven't cried in ages, so I was about due for one, but I will tell you this: crying is much more difficult with 3D glasses on. If you feel the same way about the Snape/Lilly Potter love that I do* then I suggest you save your $1.50 and see it in 2D. Though I heard from the lady in the row in front of me that at some of the cinemas in Adelaide you got 3D glasses that look like Harry's. So if they're on offer, maybe just try not to cry so much, because that's pretty cool. If you can get your hands on some, could I have them?

Anyway, after the cry I got home and I could start on the book that arrived in the mail today. If you have a spare $16, click on this link and buy it. It's fantastic so far. It may well become one of my favourite non-fiction books of all time.

It does have one slight problem though - a problem I'm all too aware of having just re-read all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall-set books on my palm pilot. They're not actually legit copies, but since I have them all in actual, paper and cardboard copies, I figure this is okay. Because the palm pilot has a definite advantage over paper books. It even has a definite advantage over e-ink screened e-book readers, the ones that are the same size as an actual book and have the clever screens that don't have pixels and don't make your eyes hurt. You can read it in bed. In the dark. And you can hold it, and scroll, with one hand. And if you fall asleep, it won't lose where you are, it will just wait 30 seconds and shut down and go to sleep too. For a book that you're very very into, it's perfect. You can literally keep reading till you can read no more. You don't have to worry that the lights are still on, that you're going to crumple your book, or lose your place. You don't have that horrible "I'm about to fall asleep, put away the book... wait 5 minutes and pick it up again" feeling. You just read and read and at some point you're not reading anymore because you've gone to sleep, but you don't realise this till you've woken up. It's magnificent. So's my new book, for all that I now have to stop and go to bed, instead of doing it the other way around, like I want to.

*He kept on loving her forever. Even when she didn't love him back. Even when she married the boy that was mean to him. Forever. Like, properly forever. And he pretended to be a bad guy and died just to protect the child of the woman he loved, it's just so beautiful and so tragic. He kept on loving her. Forever. (note: my friends didn't get it. Philistines.)

2 comments:

  1. I routinely fall alseep holding my book, then roll on it , and scrunch up the pages ...oh and go to sleep with my glasses on . Surely there is no other way to read a book?

    Im not sure I'll ever come to the party on any kind of e-reader.

    I'm with you on the Snape/Lily thing. Sad and romantic all at the same time. Im not a phillistine. Sad though that it ended up dictating his whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm going to cry at Harry Potter .. oh no! I'm going with my son and I don't think he'd like that.

    I don't actually fall asleep reading. Maybe because I don't read enough ...

    ReplyDelete