Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I get it.

Generally speaking, as soon as a quilt comes out of the washing machine, I am smitten. Even if I wasn't totally keen on it beforehand, the washing machine is like a make-it-good machine.

Those people who never wash their quilts don't know what they're missing. The slight boofy crinklyness that hides all your mistakes. The thing it does to your stitching so you can't tell anymore which thread was top and which was bobbin. The way the fabric becomes just a tiny bit softer - just enough that you immediately want to start wearing your new quilt like a blanketcape.

What's the point of chopping some fabric into little bits and sewing it all back together again? This is.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. The purple pinwheel quilt I made was so-so and then I washed it and I loved it and didn't want to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im hearing you ...I've had quilts that I hated passionately before they were washed and once I dragged them out of the dryer after a good soak and pounding in the washer/dryer I actually quite liked them .

    It's not over until you've antiqued a quilt.

    ReplyDelete