Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ow.

It's been nearly six month's since I've had a migraine. Well, it had been.

In the months before christmas last year I was getting them about once a fortnight. They'd wake me in the middle of the night, hurt like hell, keep me awake, make me sick, then after three or four hours of tossing and turning I'd fall asleep and wake up feeling crappy, but thankful it had gone. Only ever in one quarter of my head, the front left. Tried migraine tablets and sinus headache tablets and tension headache tablets but it didn't really work. And it was irregular, and in the middle of the night, and I need a new doctor (still) and it just seemed like a hassle over something that affected approximately 1.2% of my time.

Today though of course one decided to strike at 8am, 3 hours before I had to go to work. On a supervising Sunday shift. Where it's pretty much gunna take keeling over and dying to get you a replacement. I wasn't quite at that point (though really, it would have felt like an improvement) but on the kona colour chart, I would have at least been at Natural if not Snow. If I was at White it would have hurt my eyes to look at myself in the mirror. Although none of my co-workers would have got that, I was pale enough to get some sympathy. Not enough to get me a replacement, but some. Except from one of the ones who'd had a big night on the town last night, but she sooo didn't get any sympathy from me. I was too busy in my rut last night to get my drink on and anyway, that's not till next Saturday. Could it be that my hangover has come a week early? That would be clever, though if I get one next Sunday, I will be writing a letter of complaint.

I'm feeling better now, well, so long as I don't let my head go below my shoulders. I'm thinking I might nick some cushions form the couch, pop on The Thomas Crown Affair and go to sleep. And yes, it is only 9pm. Maybe I'm not feeling that much better. I'm not even usually getting started at 9pm.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sara ...I hope you feel better soon. Ive never had a migraine but I understand they are torture.

    You are a legend for turning up for work.I hope you were getting a decent penalty rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better today, migraines are horrible, I've only had a few .. hopefully the one in a fortnight won't return. I wish the people at my office were as dependable as you .. you are indeed a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to get them regularly, be headachy for a couple of days then the migraine would knock me out. I use to have to make sure I got home before the vomiting started, most of mine were hormone related. I now only get them when my sinus is playing up or my neck is out of whack. There is nothing to explain the pain of a migraine so you did good to get to work. My only advise is to drink lots of water when you feel it coming on (they say dehydration is a major cause) and black coffee when you first feel it (caffeine opens the blood vessels, they constrict when you have a migraine)

    ReplyDelete