Friday, May 27, 2011

BnS Balls

Some of you may have read the initials BnS on my blog recently and thought to yourselves, what the bloody hell is that? Especially if you're from overseas, and have never had chance to encounter this delightful Australian event.

BnS stands for Bachelors and Spinsters, though I'm making a motion for it to be changed to Blokes and Sheilas. It's just more Aussie. A BnS Ball is therefor a really big party for single people to meet one another.

Helen has told me that 20 years ago this was all very polite. Well, polite by the standards of a massive pissup in the country. The idea is that towns take turns to host them, with any profits going to local community groups, and people travel to them to catch up with friends who live a long way away, meet new people and maybe find that special someone.

Oh yes, and participate in massive amounts of drunkenness and debauchery, show off their utes, do some keybangers and spit food dye at one another. Which is both strictly prohibited, and traditional. I've packed 8 bottles, but I might get some more.

Tickets are usually in the $100-$140 range and include all you can drink Saturday night, a place to camp and usually all you can drink Sunday morning too (recovery) As well as some barbequed meat, live music, a tshirt, a bumper sticker, a stubby holder and usually, a custom printed eartag. And a chance to catch up with your mates, meet some random boys and girls and do the kinds of things you wont be able to tell your mother about. Actually, I will anyway, for all that she'll go 'I don't want to hear that"

For those of you looking for more information, go watch this video. I bowed out of this ball (Birchip 2010) at the last minute after working 38 hours in the four days leading up to it. And just as well - the girl in the short white dress saying she couldn't get on farmer wants a wife is my little sister Becky and the one making out with the dreadlocked guy is my other sister Casey.

Tonight, I'm off to Adelaide because tomorrow is the Myponga "Cow Tippers" BnS ball, and I'd much rather drive the 60km from the city on the day of the ball than the 500km from home. I'm being chill right now, because there's still stuff to be done before we go, but I am So. Freaking. Excited.

*ute (n) - Australian version of the pickup, but, um, better.
*keybangers (v) - Are done by putting the key in the ignition, turning the car on and revving the shit out of it. Have been known to empty the fueltanks of LandCruisers with 350chev engines in under 10 minutes. Sounds, and looks, like gunfire from the exhaust.
*stubby holder (n) - insulated cooler for you drink.
*eartag (n) - little piece of plastic onto which they print the name of the farm/owner of the cow it tags. Can often be seen on the hats of bogans indicating which BnS Balls/18th/21st birthday parties they attended.

8 comments:

  1. hope you have a great time! looks wild to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a 'bonza' time and I hope you met a some real beaut blokes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Michelle's comment! I second that!
    Unfortunately being from the city I missed out on that good Aussie tradition.
    Hope you have a great time, looking forward to the debrief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's a keybanger? Is that like a liquor shot? Not to get all motherly on you, but stay safe while you're having fun. ;) Will you get to visit with Shay while you're in her neck of the woods? I think I'd really like to see one of the BnS Shindigs up close. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time, but be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gawd Sara...this takes me back to my younger days. Watched the footage just to take a stroll down memory lane.

    I think she's going to be way too busy to visit me Larri. She's here for fun , and booze and cow tipping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a party! I hope you have fun! And I think that the name change to Blokes & Sheilas is completely in order.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete