Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm Glad.

I'm glad you all like my slightly silly Sausage Stand. The best part about it is the fact that it's completely different to most of the stands thought up by proper stand manufacturers. It pretty much sums up my designing tendencies. Odd, unique, functional, made of fabric and well padded. The only thing wrong with it is that it hasn't got a handle, and the moment's passed and now I'm not sure how to attach one in such a way that when I lift it, the base and the tablet rise neatly and can be sat down without readjusting. Oh well, it's good as it is.

Now that that distraction is sorted, I got properly stuck into finishing the backing for the Newsprint Mingle Twist quilt top.


I love it. I had some hassles with getting it done since I was using mainly 15 and 20cm cuts of fabric off the bolt, but if you used American fat quarters (the three check fabrics were fqs) it would be super easy, since each square is 42 cm, or about 17 inches, and that can easily be cut from an 18 by 22 inch fat quarter. Cut each one into a variety of 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8" strips, and join them together randomly to make 17 inch squares, then place and rotate till you're happy with it. That above, which came out to about 110 by 130cm, would need nine fat quarters.

I've started the quilting, which I'm gunna do as one-way lines in the wavy stitch - I've gone over the main seams to match the front and I'm gunna put another 5 rows of stitching through each row of blocks, so it's gunna be pretty densely done. Most of my favourite quilts so far have been.

Day off tomorrow. Hurrah!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, again, and this is the back! You are amazing. Can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is bee-yoo-tiful! Seriously gorgeous. If that's the back I cant wait to see the front!

    ReplyDelete