Today started a bit shit, actually, with my fortnightly migraine choosing the small hours of today as the day to come say hi. I pride myself on very rarely throwing up and I find that the only time I do lately is when I'm in lots of pain, which would be for a random 3 hours each fortnight when the top front left side of my skull tries to escape. And because it's random, and not for very long, there's not much point going to the doctor, but at least I know it's over for a bit.
Anyway, I was feeling better by lunchtime, so I went into Spotlight and got some cottons to match the satins I'd picked, and they had 75% off Christmas, so I gave myself a $20 budget but then I only actually spent about $12 after the price of the cottons. A half dozen gift bags (I love gift bags) some hair ribbons and a little bundle of Christmas fat quarters was plenty.
Then, and this is weird for me, I came home and had a nap.
I am not a napper. Dad and Casey are dedicated nappers, but I sleep in late. Once I woke up (it was only for an hour or so, and I had to meet people in town at 8 for Carols by Candlelight) I felt worse, so it's very much not something I'd recommend. We didn't stay in town long either, so I guess I wouldn't recommend Carols by Candlelight either, but that's a whole year away now (for me at least) so not as relevant.
Finally, I got into the top. One of the pleats vanished while I was sewing, but instead of throwing in the towel (like I should have) I unpicked it, put it back in, and redid it. I have to say this fabric was a bitch to work with. If it was on facebook, I would unfriend it. It grips hugely with wrong sides together (like when you're trying to push out your edges smoothly to sew over them) and doesn't grip at all with right sides together (when you're trying to sew the rest of it)
Then when I did my halfway test, it looked horrible. Like, um, lead female character in a TV show going undercover as a prostitute terrible. The cut was fine, but the colour and the way it clinged in some places and not others; it looked trashy.
So, I randomly decided to hack up another old piece of satin, to see if I could use the same rough shape to do a draped neckline. I couldn't, but I randomly came up with a quite nice looking asymmetrical type top. Or, well, quite nice looking asymmetrical type piece of fabric pinned around me and also in places to my singlet.
One of the few times I wish I had a bodyform. 364 days I wouldn't use it, but it would've come in handy today.
I noted the changes and cut it out in a green, and tried to do it again, but it wouldn't work. And that's the problem with satins. They're all different. The pink sewed and pleated and draped gorgeously, but when I tried to do it in the eggshell, it looked horrible. My random pinned top looked really nice (in the mirror, it was probably a bit horrible from behind) but when I tried to do it in something else, it all collapsed in a slinky, uncontrollable heap.
That's the great thing about quilting fabrics, and why so many of the clothes I made in the past were made from them. The way it will act is entirely predictable. One might shrink a bit in the wash, but any brand of quilt weight cotton will perform in the same way as another. It's so much easier. You don't need an entirely different set of skills to sew Moda fabrics as you do Free Spirit fabrics. A quilt patten will work the same with either. But that's not the case with two similar seeming satins. It might be perfect of it may be a big frustrating ball of slippage and swear words.
I'm gunna put this thing on the backburner for a couple of days. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, and it's making me cross. Maybe I'll try a cotton sateen, see if I can find the best of both worlds.