Thursday, November 25, 2010

A day of various achievements.

I achieved 3 things today.

The first was getting 2 of my 3 quilts bound (I haven't bought the fabric for the other one yet)

The second was working out a pricing scheme for my quilts.

The third was naming all the shops down the main street, in order, with a success rate of about 75%. I'm probably most proud of that one. But it wouldn't blog very well, or be of interest to anyone really, So I'll be telling you all about #2.

Having looked at a lot of other blogger's Etsy shops, I've concluded that a reasonable price for a baby quilt of the sort of size I usually do is somewhere between $70 and $120, depending on the fabrics and the design. Because so many of the fabrics I've been using are stash ones, I've no idea how much they cost, so for some math I've been using my maximum internet shopping price, which is $3 per fat quarter or $10 per yard. So these quilts, most of which have 6 fat quarters on the front, a yard of fabric for the back and a half for the binding, come to $33 for the fabric, and the batting rounds it up to about $40. My day job pays about $18 per hour, but Michael Caine once said "Pay me for the waiting around, the acting I'll do for free" and I've decided to adapt it to "pay me for the ironing and seam pressing, the sewing I'll do for free" And I think it would be fair to say there's about 2 to 3 hours of ironing for a quilt, not to mention the binding, where, frankly, I think I should be charging double.

And because my quilts are all different sizes, mainly due to my dislike of patterns, I've come up with a list of prices based on the number of square centimetres in a quilt. It increases by $5 for every 5002cm so a quilt like the Retro Bright, which is 80cm by 100cm (80002cm) is $60, while GoogleEarth, at 93x109cm (101372cm) is $80, and so on, with a $10 add on for a little bit of piecing on the back (like a line of piecing through it) and a $20 add on for full piecing. I have myself a quick reference guide written up, and at some point I'll update the Quilts I've Made page to include the measurements and prices.

I don't particularly mind if people think they're a bit expensive, especially since it's easy to imagine that if I paid full price for all my fabrics ($20 per metre) I'd be spending almost $70 on materials per quilt, before adding the labour costs of the average 6 or 7 hours of work they take. If people want a cheap blanke, they know where Kmart is.

It's not on the main street.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I have never made a quilt with intention to sell them. But fabric can be SO expensive, and it really is a lot of time that goes into making these things. If I ever decide to start making items for sale, I doubt I'll be focusing on quilts proper.

    Your closing two lines make me laugh :-)

    ~ Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your prices are reasonable Sara.One of my friends sells hand quilted quilts and she and I had this conversation the other day. People dont realise the kind of work that goes into a quilt. You cant sell stuff for next to nothing. And if people want your hand made yumminess theyre going to have to cough up.

    My daughter was at Mac Park for school.

    ReplyDelete