Thursday, October 7, 2010

More big plans.

I've just washed my hair and I really should go dry it so it doesn't end up hugely feral but... well, the bathroom is a long way away, and I'll have to hold the hairdryer in the air, and it'll be heavy, and take more than 1 second, which is far too long, and, well, it seems easier to just sit here with a towel wrapped around it.

So, instead, some plans.

Bind the pink quilt. Shouldn't be too hard, binding is made, it's just a matter of getting some floor in the lounge room so I can pin it down.

Work out how to bind the blue and green quilt. For every join in the fabric, you lose 10cm (I join my binding on the diagonal). I have 7 pieces, with a total length of about 5.6m. the quilt is 4.4m around. That's 12 potential joins, and I think I need more than that to make it look nice. Or I can go buy something that works. I have a maybe or two in the next box from fabric.com, but it's still not here yet. I'll wait.

Make a quilt with the pinky-reddy-orangey batik bundle from a while back.


I've split it into lights and darks, and I'll do the lights on one side, using the same design as the bluegreen quilt, and also Esther's quilt, which I love but haven't done in a while. It needs more quilting usually, but I plan on quilting to the diagonally aligned back, in the dark colours. I wont do fancy blocks for this side, just cut the fat quarters into 4 neat rectangles and tile them, before trimming off the corners and matching them to their opposite sides. It's the ordered, sensible way to do a wonky pieced back, and I'm looking forward to it.

Do some of the mini quilts I specially shopped at Spotlight for. These were bought especially for the purpose of making little quilts for markets or whatever, and most of the colours aren't ones I would use for me. I think they were all designed to come out at the 80x100cm size I was doing at the time, whereas I'm feeling more at home with a 100x120cm at the moment, but that's because I have arms and legs that are long and need to be covered, and my only regular access to a baby has cut back since I have no car. But babies do exist, and they only have little arms and legs so they don't need a big quilt. Which is good I suppose, because you can make a little one for them in a day.

Keep looking for more boy fabrics. Helen has picked some cute ones for Bob, so I know it can be done, and I have considered buying this bundle since I could probably wring 2 quilts out of it, especially since it's actually half yards, so I wouldn't need to put the same fabrics in 2 quilts. But I have no money.

Finally, I need to work out a way to keep the charger in the laptop. It keeps falling out whenever I move, or the cats walk over, or I type too vigorously. Fortunately it has a good battery, so as long as I realise before 3 hours are over, I'm okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment