Friday, October 29, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival fall 2010 entry.

I had to think a bit about what I felt like entering into my first ever Bloggers Quilt Festival. Officially, my favourite quilt I've ever made is my Mingle Wonky Mini Quilt. But I looked through everyone else's, and my favourites were all spectral/rainbow ones. That make it a whole lot easier to pick one to showcase. This isn't the kind of thing I would normally do, but, if I'm honest, once upon a time, neither was quilting. I came to it via laptop sleeves, which I came at from laptop bags, and it's all a bit by accident that I'm now a quilter.

After putting in stupid huge amounts of effort to sew foam padded laptop bags with zips and pockets and handles and all sorts of fancy things, I realised that really, all you needed was a regular bag to put all your extra bits in and then a lightly padded sleeve for the laptop itself. I started sewing straight strips together to make the sleeves look pretty, but I didn't bother with super accurate cutting, or ironing the seams, or any fancy stuff like that. They were rarely more than 40 cm wide, so accuracy wasn't hugely important. But I was willing to admit, the straighter I cut, the smoother it was, and the nicer it looked.

So, one day, for no reason other than an excess of money, I bought a rotary cutter. One of the $10 ones from Spotlight, because I didn't take it seriously enough to get one of the expensive ones. All their cutting mats were in inches though, so I got an A4 sized one for $3 from Cheap as Chips. I set about cutting all my fat quarters into 10cm squares, that I could then reassemble into the outsides of laptop sleeves*.

The next Monday, I found out that Spotlight were having a quilt show/competition on Thursday. I decided, that since I had all these lovely 10cm squares cut up, I would make a quilt. Only a little one, since I only had 4 days, and I was new to this whole thing, but hey. A real quilt.

I had a top pieced by mid Wednesday, so I went in to get batting and backing. I got wool, since that's what I was using for the laptop sleeves, and I got full width, since I could cut the edge off for a few more sleeves. Then, I found out that actually, it was next Thursday.

Damn. 20+ hours of sewing in two days wasn't a necessary as I had thought. Mum said I should make it bigger, so I decided I'd fill out the whole batting. I had run out of some of my fabrics though, but I got some more, and chopped up old part-done projects as well. That's why there's some fabrics that are only at one end.


Technique-wise, it's a bit shoddy. The border/binding is just the backing folded round, so the in the ditch quilting, which sometimes is aside the ditch quilting, isn't set in at the ends, and I used a different colour cotton for the top and the bottom, so it shows through on the back occasionally. There's a lot of squares that now I think I should switch and, despite the fact that they're different kinds and qualities of fabrics, I didn't prewash them (because they were never intended for a quilt) so now I'm scared to get it dirty. It's on my bed, with other quilts on top of it, but in the morning before I make my bed, I can see all these little rainbow patches in the gaps between them.

When I move out of my parents house, into a place with walls big enough to hang a single bed quilt, I'll probably feature it on a wall, but for now, I like it like it is, a secret rainbow quilt just for me.

*I haven't made a laptop sleeve since.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks so much :) yours, the one before it and the one six after it were the 3 that made me pick my rainbow quilt as my festival entry. The world needs beautiful happy colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors here, they're so vibrant! That's what drew me into your thumbnail at the festival :) This is the kind of quilt that just makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, makes me smile! I love the bright colors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, beautiful colors and gradients...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt. The colors are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from your "neighbor" at the festival :) Love your story and the rainbow effect you created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, first off your blog name just rocks.

    Second - I live somewhere near you. It's always nice to "meet" people from my corner of the world.

    Third- I love the way you write.

    Fourth - I'm not afraid of colour and I see you arent either. I love this quilt. It just sings! Amazing. The way you put the colours together is just perfect. This is a fabulous finish.

    P.S. I am just about to make my first laptop bag. If you hear swearing in your neighbourhood thats probably me ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great rainbow of colors.

    Angie - www.craftedAngels.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm guessing there are a lot of quilters out there who happened on quilting more or less by accident. Your quilt is great and, from what I read, you learned a lot making it and since. That's the best way to do things. And you have a goergous quilt to show for your first attempt. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so pretty...i love anything in rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story is great. I love the way we often seem to just fall into things.
    Your quilt is wonderful, so bright and vibrant!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so beautiful and I love the story. Rainbow quilts are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun and funky quilt- I love the bright colors and a rainbow of your own is a wonderful description of it.
    Thanks for sharing your fabulous quilt.
    Regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so glad that you quilt!!! Beauatiful design!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bright cheery quilt, it makes me smile.
    Kudos.
    Thanks for visiting my b/w pink mini.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love rainbow designs - it's a fab quilt, especially considering the serendipity that made it happen!!!

    Benta

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous, I just love the way the colours merge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the story - welcome to quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is so pretty! I love the energy in the rainbow colors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. marvelous quilt and a fun story. also, love rainbows--did a strata quilt top in rainbow colors and just love it. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete